1. Submissions must be written in English.
2. Entries should be submitted as an MS Word-compatible document, in Arial or Times New Roman font, double-spaced text with the title and page number on each page of the entry.
3. Entries which exceed the stated length will be disqualified.
4. No correspondence can be entered into.
5. The judges’ decisions are final.
6. All entries must be anonymous. Do not put your name or contact details on your story or poem. Identifiable entries will be disqualified.
7. Your work may have been previously published in a magazine or online, providing the author still owns the copyright and there is no exclusivity with the prior publication. Alternatively, your work may be unpublished.
8. Work must be entirely the work of the entrant, and the entrant must own the full publication rights to the story.
9. Submissions are preferred online but can be submitted by post to 99 Cambridge Road, Hastings, East Sussex, TN34 1EP. Entries will not be returned, so please keep a copy. No corrections or alterations can be made after receipt of an entry.
10. The standard entry fee is £7.50 or £13 for two entries and £20 for three. A maximum of three entries per entrant will be accepted.
11. There is no geographical restriction on entrants; entry is open to all, including non-UK based writers.
12. Entrants must be a minimum of 18 years old.
13. Winning entrants agree to have their story published by Hastings Literary Festival in electronic format. Hastings Literary Festival holds publishing rights for six months, after which these rights revert to the author.
14. Closing date is 10pm on Sunday 31st July 2022.
15. The competition longlist will be published on our website on 28th August, and the shortlist on 4th September.
16. A full list of the winners will be published on our website after the close of the festival w/c 26th September 2022.
17. Entry is confirmation of your acceptance of all rules and conditions.